Current:Home > MarketsFilm academy enlists TV veterans for 96th annual Oscars ceremony -Capitatum
Film academy enlists TV veterans for 96th annual Oscars ceremony
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:46:28
The Oscars are enlisting a group of live television veterans to oversee its 96th show in March.
Raj Kapoor will serve as executive producer and showrunner, Katy Mullan will executive produce and Hamish Hamilton will return to direct for the first time in nearly a decade, the film academy said Tuesday.
Kapoor, who has worked on the Oscars for the past seven years, also has credits on the Grammys, the Emmys and "Adele: One Night Only," while Mullan produced "Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration" and the opening and closing ceremonies of the London Olympics. Hamilton, meanwhile, has three Academy Award telecasts on his resume already, including the 82nd Oscars hosted by Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin and the 86th Oscars hosted by Ellen DeGeneres, in addition to 14 Super Bowl halftime shows and the London Olympics opening.
"Their deep love of cinema, fresh vision, and tremendous live television expertise is perfect for our reinvigorated show," Academy CEO Bill Kramer and Academy President Janet Yang said in a joint statement.
No host has been announced yet.
The Hollywood actors strike has disrupted much of the traditional leadup to awards season, with actors unable to promote projects. But the Oscars, which celebrate all aspects of filmmaking, are forging ahead with plans. The 96th Oscars are scheduled for Sunday, March 10, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
"Having worked with Raj, Katy and Hamish on many special and memorable projects over the years, we have full confidence in their vision for the 96th Oscars," Walt Disney Television executive Rob Mills said.
"Their creativity, infectious energy and sincere love for the movies will be the ticket to making this year's ceremony a night to remember," Mills added.
Lisa Love and Raúl Àvila will also return to design the "red carpet aesthetic," which last year included scuttling a red carpet altogether. There was instead a champagne-colored walkway to the theater.
Like many awards shows, the Oscars have suffered decreased ratings in recent years, and not just because of the pandemic editions.
But they've also had a modest rebound with the past two shows. This year's ceremony, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, drew 18.7 million viewers in March. Though much improved from the 10.4 million who tuned into the Union Station Oscars in 2021, and the 16.6 million who witnessed Will Smith slap Chris Rock in 2022, it was also the third lowest rated show. Prior to 2018, viewership had never been lower than 32 million.
Conventional wisdom suggests that viewership is directly related to the popularity of the movies nominated for the top awards. This year might have the answer yet; but that's a lot of pressure to put on "Barbenheimer."
Oscars 2023 highlights:'Everything Everywhere' wins 7, Brendan Fraser wins best actor
Every Hollywood awards show, major moviepostponed by writers' and actors' strikes
veryGood! (1947)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Florida plastic surgeon charged in wife's death after procedure at his office
- Missing hiker's brother urges increased U.S. involvement in search efforts: I just want to find my brother
- Billy Ray Cyrus Accuses Ex Firerose of Conducting Campaign to Isolate Him From Family
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- NFL offseason grades: Bears earn top team mark as Cowboys trail rest of class
- Alaska troopers search for 2 men after small plane crashes into remote lake
- Reaction to the death of Willie Mays, ‘a true Giant on and off the field’
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Missing hiker's brother urges increased U.S. involvement in search efforts: I just want to find my brother
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Shaboozey Shares How Beyoncé Inspired Him After Cowboy Carter Collab
- Over 120 people hospitalized, 30 in ICU, with suspected botulism in Moscow; criminal probe launched
- Noam Chomsky’s wife says reports of famed linguist’s death are false
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- The greatest players to play at Rickwood Field included the Say Hey Kid, Hammer, Mr. Cub
- Austin Butler Shares Insight Into Being an Uncle to Ashley Tisdale's Kids
- New Boeing whistleblower alleges faulty airplane parts may have been used on jets
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
These Star Wars-Themed Tumblers from Corkcicle Will Keep Your Drinks Hot (or Cold) in Every Galaxy
Los Angeles school district bans use of cellphones, social media by students
Baby moose trapped in a lake is saved by Alaska man and police as its worried mom watches
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Sal Frelick saves day with home run robbery for final out in Brewers' win vs. Angels
Willie Mays, Giants’ electrifying ‘Say Hey Kid,’ has died at 93
Kevin Durant says there are 'better candidates' than Caitlin Clark for U.S. Olympic team